This summer roll is a great and easy snack or canapé that can be prepared on the fly or just before your guests arrive.
Once you have the ingredients ready it only a matter of minutes to have them rolled and ready.
Start with these simple ingredients and as you grow in confidence rolling them -start adding fantastic ingredients such as poached shrimp, chicken or your favorite green.
For the Summer Roll
– 2 ripe avocados sliced into 8 thin slices each
– 6 cups washed baby spinach
– 2 red bell peppers
– 1 packet rice paper sheets (found at any big super market or health food store in the “international food” aisle)
– Pre heat oven to 400 degrees f.
– Lightly oil red bell peppers and place on a baking tray.
– Place in hot oven for 10 -12 minutes until peppers are tender.
– Once peppers are cooked, allow to cool and cut them in half and remove the seeds with a knife
– Slice pepper into ¼ inch slices, place on kitchen towel to absorb any moisture.
– Place a clean, damp kitchen towel on a work surface. Fill a medium frying pan or wide, shallow dish large enough to hold the rice paper wrappers with hot tap water. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, completely submerge the wrapper until it is soft and pliable, about 15 seconds. Remove the wrapper from the water and place it on the towel.
– Working quickly, place 1 cup of baby spinach, just above the center of the wrapper, leaving about 1 inch of space on each side. Layer 4-6 slices red pepper over the spinach, followed by a few slices of avocado
– Fold the bottom half of the rice paper wrapper over the filling. Holding the whole thing firmly in place, fold the sides of the wrapper in. Then, pressing firmly down to hold the folds in place, roll the entire wrapper horizontally up from the bottom to the top.
– Place on baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings. Leave space between each summer roll on the sheet so they don’t stick together, and replace the water in the pan or dish with hot tap water as needed.
For the Simple Soy Dressing
– 2 cups rice wine vinegar
– 1 cup soy sauce
– 1 inch piece peeled ginger (finely grated)
– Lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients and add a touch of lemon juice to taste.
– With a sharp kitchen knife slice each summer roll into roll equal pieces.
– Place sauce into dipping container.
– Arrange summer rolls on a plate and dip and enjoy!
*PLEASE NOTE: the featured photograph is of the shrimp summer roll, which is different from this recipe.